Tuesday, May 04, 2004

My mother's foot

Several weeks ago, my mother hurt her foot. It's a deteriorating tendon. There is no cure. She was seeing an MD she didn't like and who wasn't treating it properly, so she went to see another MD who immediately put her in a cast. For the entire time she's been seeing an MD, she hasn't been able to drive. I phoned her the other night and she was just in despair. She was absolutely sure her foot wasn't going to get better. I called my dad the next morning to see if it would help if I came to visit. He said he would check with her.

Today, she had an MD appointment. He took off her cast and put her in a boot. She needs to stay off her feet for another three weeks, and she has been fitted for an Arizona brace. She was very encouraged by the appointment today. She will need to always wear the brace, but she will be able to drive, walk, etc., so she really doesn't care.

I can hear you all thinking, "So, Ann, how does this affect you?" I'm glad you asked. I have been giving a lot of thought to how this came about for my Mom. When she was my age, she started having problems with her feet. She switched to flat shoes, but at the end of the day her feet always hurt. I think she was in Stage I of this foot disorder/disease even then, twenty years ago. My tendonitis is much better; the heel cup and arch support combo really help, and the prescription strength anti-inflammatory helps, too. But I think I may go see a foot person in the next couple of months; after I get my life back in order. Because that is one ugly foot, and one ugly boot, and I don't want to be housebound for two months when I'm 63 because I didn't bother taking care of my feet when I was 44.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home