Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Day One on the job

Today I started at my workplace. I will be trained by Tania, a beautiful woman with a voice like silk. Many of the calls have that New Orleans informal quality to them: "I can help wid dat, baby."

I have been very concerned and intimidated by many things about starting back to work: the change in my schedule, the pace, the structure, the 8000 new things to learn. But after just one day of listening to calls, I have determined that I'm going to be able to do this. We've only scratched the surface of what I will learn over the next week or two, but already today there were several calls I could have handled with no problem at all. I expect within a month to be Useful, and within six months to be Very Useful.

The company internet policy is pretty strict. No browsing. Occasional visits to websites to check personal e-mail, make plane reservations, or look up phone numbers are acceptable. But my days of spending hours and hours lost in the internet appear to be over. I hope to be able to hit my friends' blogs, and to keep up with one or two boards, but it's not going to be like it was. I can only hope that this will be a good thing for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe said...

You'll kick butt on your new job. It's definitely a good thing. Internet won't be as interesting without you, but I can deal with it :)

11/03/2004 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Miranda said...

Just wanted to say hi and how's the rest of your first week going?

11/04/2004 08:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home