Sunday, May 09, 2004

Another fine weekend in New Orleans

Yesterday morning was commencement at the university where my husband teaches. He had to go, because he's on the faculty there. $40 to rent regalia. But he looks so awesome in his cap and gown with the hood with the Texas Tech colors. I guess the ceremony was kind of long; many, many names to read. I didn't go. Next year, though, I think I will find a sitter and go to the baccalaureate mass, which they hold the night before. My husband said the music was very nice, and I haven't been to a solemn high mass in a long, long time.

After commencement, a member of the faculty hosted a crawfish boil. (It seems rather sacrilegious to cite an Austin, Texas newspaper for a description of a boil, but this is a very good description; almost like a blog entry.) We had a very nice time, and ate a LOT of crawfish. They are so tasty, like tiny little lobster tails, but zippy with spices. We ended up taking home two gallon-size ziplock bags full of crawfish. This evening, we peeled them down to the tails, which is where the meat is. The two large bags reduced down to just over 12 ounces of crawfish tails. I will make crawfish fettucine with them this week.

For mother's day, we had a very yummy breakfast - waffles with fresh Louisiana strawberries, whipped cream and pecans. Oh, and a little bacon for contrast. My husband made me a card with a the poem Dedication to my Wife, by T.S. Eliot. It was the most romantic Mother's Day card he's given me in seven Mother's Days together. I did not get a gift, but I did not expect one, since we are so broke. My little boy made me a drawing with a picture of different fruits.

I went to church with the family. Of course the little kids sang, and it was so cute to see my little guy, alternating between straining his head to see us all the way in the back, and singing his little heart out.

My husband has done all the cooking today, and all the dishes. Also, we had a moth infestation in our pantry (a bag of cheese tortellini turned food source for larvae; ugh, ugh, ugh) and he cleaned it out thoroughly. It was really gross. He's a biologist, and even he thought it was gross. Worse than skinning rodents, even.

We had brownies for dessert tonight, and the little boy is asleep. Older son went out with his friends and just got back. Tomorrow, I will write more about him being done with school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home