Saturday, August 07, 2004

The Nest is going to have one less chick

My Older Son will be leaving for college next week. August 14th. Yes, indeed, in just seven short days he has to be packed and out of here. Freshman Orientation is the following week. Classes start the 23rd, the same day they start for me.

He is nowhere near ready to go (unless I am silly for thinking he should have started packing by now). He has several things he needs to get done before he can leave (like, make sure a rental truck is reserved, etc.) and none of it has happened yet. He needs to go shopping, big time. I'm a bit frustrated, but I don't want to nag.

He's been spending most of his time hanging out with his friends lately. Younger Son asked the other day, "Does [older son] still live with us?" It's nice of him to give us time to get used to doing without him before he actually leaves.

Gosh, I'm going to miss him. Maybe I can get him to read and comment on my blog.

Someone pointed me long ago to the song "The Hardest Part of Love," from the musical "Children of Eden." Here are the lyrics that I've been musing over the last couple of days:

And it's only in Eden grows a rose without a thorn
And your children start to leave you on the day that they are born
They will leave you there to cheer for them, they will leave you there to mourn ever so
Like an ark on uncharted seas their lives will be tossed
And the deeper is your love for them, the crueler is the cost
And just when they start to find themselves is when you fear they're lost...

On top of this, Little Boy starts kindergarten this year, also on the 23rd. So many transitions, in such a short time. It's a good thing I'm adaptable.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And the deeper is your love for them, the crueler is the cost"

I know this to be true. So glad for all the good choices your son has made to get where he is now, and to go to where he is going. -Brenda

8/08/2004 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Well, your son being in school will give you plenty of excuses to live la vida loca in Baton Rouge. Somehow that doesn't sound quite right.

8/09/2004 08:08:00 AM  
Blogger Miranda said...

This year has brought many transitions for you guys. How are you holding up?

8/09/2004 09:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home