Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Single Parent

DH is gone for two weeks. He has a job that gives him enormous freedom in the summertime. That means instead of hours of structured time standing in front of students, he has hours of unstructured time to do research. He left for ten days to catch lizards just three weeks ago. Now he's gone for two weeks helping his parents move; then he'll attend a molecular biology teaching workshop in NYC for which he gets free room and board, free air fare, and a stipend.

Meanwhile, I get to grind away at the fast food franchise fixing printer problems and planning a roll-out for centralized updates of the POS. I actually like the work, and I'm learning a lot about the business, but it's not exactly camping in the desert in the spring, a trip to the Rockies, or an intellectual all-expense-paid week in New York, y'know? I'm more than a little jealous.

This single-parenting event will be better than the last, though, because older son is home from college. That means there is another adult in the house at night, and when I hear a strange noise I won't lay paralyzed in bed for a half-hour waiting for a recently escaped psychotic to burst in and stab me with his hook. Plus, little boy is out of school, so I can sleep until glorious 6:45 a.m. instead of waking at 6:15.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snopp sleeps with eyes wide open, like a fellow with a good "on guard" personna. Borrow his blueness the next time you're feeling at home alone.

And sleep well.

Deb

6/01/2005 05:12:00 AM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

You should consider going back to school and learn something that would provide a little more intellectual freedom and diversity in the work place. I don't want to hear that you are not capable, smart, or whatever, you and I both know you are.

I have to confess, I am a bit jealous of your husbands travels and trips. I did get a degree in wildlife management with that kind of travel in mind.

6/02/2005 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

How about a barky little dog? We've got two, and though they attack any daytime visitors, at night they seem to sleep through all the strange noises. I don't know if that means the noises are OK, or they trust me to investigate, but they are there.
And a back from school guy, asking 'can I have the car keys?'. I just think of Harry Chapin's song 'Yes, he's just like me' and hope to be better.

6/02/2005 09:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when the hubby is out of town! I paint the walls colors that he doesn't approve of, rearrange furniture, watch whatever I want on TV, rent chick-flicks and cry without shame and get to serve corndogs and pot pies for dinner all week without complaint.

It's all in how you look at it. Now, go rent The Notebook and have a good time.....

-Lori

6/06/2005 06:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home