Friday, November 03, 2006

Shannon

Annegb over on one of the MoBlogs posted a cool story about how her friend started to see himself differently (in a good way) when someone threatened to beat the shit out of him. Of course, annegb did not say "shit" on a MoBlog, but I could read underneath the asterisks. Annegb concluded her post asking if any of the readers had anything similar happen to them ever.

Yes, it has.

In the not too distant past, I was fighting a pretty serious depression. Even with therapy and meds, I was not coming out of it as much as I would have liked. In retrospect, I was having a lot of distorted thinking, much of it a direct result of my loss of faith.

Early this summer, I posted over on the New Order Mormons board about how I was tired of being a defective Mormon. I was very eloquent :) Chris Tolworthy (my friend in Scotland) wrote a very empathetic reply.

And then Shannon weighed in. I had never met Shannon in Real Life, but she'd read a lot of my stuff (and I'd read a lot of hers) and so we knew each other in that way that you can only know people you've never met on the internet. Her reply caught me a little off guard: "It's sad that two people as beloved all over the world as Ann and Chris are made to feel like they are defective people because of their religious beliefs or lack thereof."

At first, I kind of blew it off. It certainly was a nice thing to say, but obviously it was just hyperbole.

A few days later, though, I was driving home from water aerobics and making a left hand turn at a traffic light and it hit me: she's right. I AM beloved by people all over the world. Not by millions of them, of course, but probably in the dozens. Lots of people think I'm pretty amazing.

Suddenly, I realized that all of those things I'd been telling myself about myself were wrong. I wasn't defective, I wasn't a loser, and I wasn't a failure. In the blink of an eye, I became someone beloved by people all over the world.

Nothing had changed, except that Shannon had told me so.

10 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe said...

Oh, Ann, ((((hugs)))

I'm glad you came over to my way of thinking about you. It's all true -- you're loved and admired all over the world.

11/04/2006 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Dozens of new order/ex-Mormons can't be wrong. Well, some people think they can...

Hey, Phoebe, have belaja e-mail me her blog link, wouldja? I can't find it anywheres...

11/04/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger doug said...

add me to the list of "Ann-Fans" :)

11/04/2006 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger doug said...

oh, and I just emailed you belaja's blog url

11/04/2006 06:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just emailed it to ya.

I'm on the Ann-fan list as well. Some of you may recall that one of my "Rules for Good Forum Relations" is to bow deeply at the waist whenever NannaP appears. And that is no joke. I always sit up and take notice of whatever you have to say (after I'm done bowing).

And bless that Shannon! What a perfect thing to say (she's handy that way). Cuz you are beloved all over the world. By very clear-eyed people.

(I'm excited your blogging this month!)

11/04/2006 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I really can't say how much the sudden realization that I was not (fill in the blanks) has changed me.

She changed my life. The list of people who have changed my life (at least, for the better) is very short.

11/04/2006 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

You are loved and admired in Indiana! I hope we get a chance to meet up again. I went to karaoke tonight and thought of you!

11/05/2006 01:34:00 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

wow, Shannon is very wise. I was just gleaning through a book I've picked up on addiction. The book is written from a Mormon standpoint and it has two lists of things that point to our potential worth--one if we are an addict and one if we are not an addict. The lists are identical. I'm not comparing addiction to religion, but I do think Shannon's point would fit with the lists. The lists are the same no matter what we believe.

Thank you for this good post, Ann.

11/05/2006 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Another Ann-fan here!

11/06/2006 01:26:00 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I've been an admirer since you first started posting on NOM. You are incredibly clear-headed and warm-hearted plus you "get" it about life.

11/09/2006 09:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home