Sunday, January 18, 2004

Since I've been out of work for four months, I've felt the need to do something, anything, useful with at least some of my time. During September through November plus a week, I earned two A's in college classes. But that's over, so I had to find something else. Several months ago, my friend Debbie gave me a very nice sewing machine. I made myself a skirt as a project in Home Economics in 7th grade, and I made my daughter a green Christmas dress when she was ten years old. She is now almost 24, and I haven't done any sewing since. Nevertheless, I have been purchasing material and sewing curtains.

My in-laws came for a visit a few weeks ago, and my mother-in-law is the sewing goddess. She can make anything, and if she feels the need for a pattern she will make her own. When they were visiting, we worked together on valances for the bay window in my "breakfast room" (the room off the kitchen where we eat, but not the dining room, which we use as an office). They came out really nice, so I got some ambition and have started making curtains for the bedrooms.

I finished the first set last night. It was a learning experience. I had cut the fabric for the first panel too large, so there was not enough fabric to make a second panel. The fabric was a large remnant, so I was not able to purchase more fabric. So, I cut down the first panel, and bought hem facing to make the hem on the second. They came out...OK. Just OK. They are hanging on café clips, and they aren't really wide enough to look at all good closed. They are acceptable in the open position. Since these are my practice curtains, they are hanging in my bedroom until I get good at making curtains, then they will move into our spare room. I will probably make additional panels in a contrasting shade (they are navy blue) and then they will look good closed.

Before I fix these curtains up, though, I have two more pair of curtains I want to make: Bob the Builder curtains for the little boy (he was with me when I bought the material, and though I suggested a nice, colorful African mammal print, he would have none of it), and some beautiful blue plaid drapes for older son's room. These will be a challenge, since I'm making tab tops.

Tomorrow is MLK Day, and DH is off work. His brother is coming for a visit on Tuesday, so we are doing housework. I was glad to have the family room straightened and vacuumed when the missionaries dropped by unexpectedly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home