Monday, August 30, 2004

Friday Morning vs. Monday Morning

Friday morning:
DH is at home. Little boy wakes up and wants to play on the computer. The bus leaves in 50 minutes. I try and distract him..."Let's go watch cartoons. I'll fix you some french toast sticks." I get him dressed and give him breakfast, then go shower.
After my shower, I ask DH, "Is Little Boy eating his breakfast?"
"No, he said they were too crunchy. I gave him some cereal. "
"Is he watching TV?"
"No, he's playing on the computer."

Uh oh.

Little boy hadn't touched his cereal. Little boy had a meltdown. He didn't want to eat. He wanted to play on the computer. I would not let him. He needed breakfast. The bus would be here in five minutes. He would not eat. He would not go brush his teeth. I went in to the room where he was crouched between a bookcase and the sofa. I picked him up to carry him into the bathroom. I caught my heel on the step going down into my (slightly sunken) family. My arms were full of little boy. I could not catch my balance. I fell. Hard. On my left knee.

I started to scream. "Ow, ow, oh, my knee, my knee, ow, oh, my knee." Really, really loud. DH came running in from the bedroom. I lay there and screamed for 2-3 minutes. The pain started to subside (endorphins, I guess). I was unable to catch my breath. I thought I was going to throw up. I told DH, "This morning has been just awful, and it's all your fault. I mean, I know you left your mind reading hat at work, and I didn't tell you the morning routine, but he simply doesn't have time to play on the computer." I got up. I could walk. DH fixed breakfast. I drove little boy to school.

Monday morning:
Sunday night, I had carefully explained to little boy what we had to do in the morning. He woke up smiling and giggling at 6:25, after having a good night's sleep the night before. He got dressed right away. I fixed him frozen waffles. He watched cartoons while he ate. I showered. He came running in after the first segment of Rug Rats was over: "I have to go now! The bus will be coming!" DH walked him to the bus stop.

Moral of the story: It's not enough to have routines, and for me to know them. All the people involved have to know them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe said...

A good story with a good moral. I've had similar experiences, only didn't handle them as well as you did. How's your knee now?

8/30/2004 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

It's OK. I knelt on it today, picking up the family room, and THAT was a mistake. I have a fairly large area over the patella that feels like it's been injected with novocaine when I poke it. It feels good, in a weird way.

8/30/2004 05:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, one of THOSE days! Don't be fooled by the Monday morning success, where I live it runs about 50/50. When I had little ones, I had a NO TV in the am rule that kept everyone on schedule.

Now I have found that leaving for work before the kids leave for school helps me with the stress.

Watch that knee, though. It's a pretty important part of the anatomy and when it goes out, can be a real problem later on. Now would be a good time to make everyone else do things for you for a week or so.

-Lori

8/30/2004 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Lori, that was a diet coke spewing comment. I especially liked the last paragraph.

8/31/2004 08:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer to acquire breaks during the my day and appear via some blogs to determine what other people are talking about. This blog page happened to present up in my searches and I couldn't support clicking on it. I'm glad I did since it was a really pleasant study.

--------------------------------------------
my website is
http://learnitalianlanguage.info

Also welcome you!

11/17/2010 12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home