Tuesday, August 24, 2004

First day of school, part deux

Miranda asked in a comment how I was doing with my youngest child starting off to kindergarten today. Since this is my third (and last!) child, I'm an old hat at this sort of thing. Old, in more ways than one...

Little boy has been bored silly the last month at home. I'm not a very engaged parent, unfortunately. I like having focused bursts of time together, rather than hours and hours that stretch on and on, seemingly without end.

So, we were both very glad that he started school. He seemed to have a good day. He rode the bus to school, and rode the bus home. I don't want him to get started thinking he's going to get a ride all the time! Mr. Rick, the bus driver put him right in the front. To make sure he gets on the right bus, and gets off at the right place, each kindergartener leaves each day wearing a large headband, with his name, bus number, and address. It probably won't be at all necessary within a couple of weeks. In the meantime, though, I think it's a good tool for helping the parents feel comfortable that their kids won't get "lost."

As for me, I spent the morning working on some web pages, and then had a nice lunch with a friend, and went shopping at a local consignment shop. It was so quiet! No TV, all day. Gosh, it was nice.

When little boy came home, we made a dirt cake. According to him, we made it all wrong, but it came out OK, I thought. A little went a long way, though...I wonder what I'm going to do with the leftovers.

When older son left for school, I was not upset really at all. That's because my use of time is in the future, and I sort of had a meltdown about him leaving back in February. Which was kind of nice, because he got to see it and all, because he was still here! So, when it came time for him to go, I had already had my cathartic weeping session.


Here's my little guy, patiently waiting for the bus on his first day of school. Posted by Hello

5 Comments:

Blogger Miranda said...

What a cutie!

8/25/2004 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

Charming post, Ann. I am intriqued by this blog picture service you used to display YS's pic. Blogging par excellence, my dear.
My daughter and her best friend have pictures of them together on their first days of school since the first grade. They both entered high school this year, and when I stopped at her friend's house to pick her up, there was her mother on the porch waiting with her camera. Fugit hora, as the Latins say (I think).

8/25/2004 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

My kids have always loved riding the bus. T. would look out the window at the older kids getting on those big yellow contraptions, and he was overjoyed the first day he rode one. A. wants to go down the street and get on bus #54(?) when it picks up its load; I have to take him outside to wait on #266. He then runs to the bus smiling and laughing.

I used to have a little ritual back when we had two kids riding. After I got the kids all ready for school, they scattered wherever in the house. When the bus pulled up, I walked around shouting "BUUU-us! BUUU-us! BUUU-us! BUUU-us!" loudly until the kids got out the door.

8/25/2004 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Little boy was grouchy as heck this morning. But he did get some breakfast, and he did make it to the bus, and was excited to get on board. He was very insistent about holding my hand: "Mommy, you have to hold my hand!" as he clenched his little fist in mine.

8/25/2004 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Ms-Chievous said...

Awwww. Ms.Banana that is the cutest pic! I'm glad you both survived. Send me some cake please.
I'm getting a double whammy this year because my twins are starting Kinder-Farten, next Wednesday.
I'm stealing this from Mr.Doodle. "BUUU-us! BUUU-us! BUUU-us! BUUU-us! But I'm doing to be saying it while we are walking our 3 blocks to the school. ;o)

8/25/2004 02:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home