Saturday, August 14, 2004

Movin' movin' movin'...

This is my 2nd try at this post. Lost it when I tried to "post" last time. Grrr...

It has been a very busy couple of days chez nous. Yesterday, a friend from The Folk of the Fringe stopped to visit on his way from Northern California to Northern Florida for graduate school. We had never met in Real Life. The couple of times I have met people in Real Life that I only know from the 'net, I have always enjoyed it.

I fed him some dinner (nothing notable) and then we went in to the French Quarter to look around. We had some beignets at Cafe du Monde and then walked around a bit. It was night by then, so most of the action was concentrated on Bourbon Street. We did see a couple of statue performers, and quickly browsed at a souvenir shop. We gazed at Bourbon Street, which was quite jumping. Many hundreds of people, probably celebrating the Saints pre-season win over the Jets. I decided (and I guess he agreed) that we would forego wading into the crowd, mostly because I thought I was less likely to get puked on that way. We were there for a couple of hours. Because my DH is a king among men, who remembers what it was like to be an impoverished graduate student, he agreed that my 'net friend could crash at our place.

Every time I go to the Quarter, I see places that I would love to explore, like the Art Tile gallery and the custom jewelry stores, and the Voodoo Museum. They are all closed at night, though, and DH hates that sort of thing. I need a once-a-month French Quarter shopping buddy, who won't just want to hang out and drink, and who likes to shop in the daytime!

This morning we got up fairly early, but my houseguest was already gone. Good thing he remembered his bike, which we had put in the garage for safekeeping! We got up early so we could pick up the moving truck. Older Son moved today, to Big State University. We were on our way with most of his earthly possessions (and some of ours which are now his) by 11:45 a.m., and got done unloading before 3:00. We went to a late lunch with Older Son's roommate and his family. We had a nice visit with them - good people!

After unloading, my son and his roommate had to come back to pick up a car. They didn't know if they were going to be able to stay in their apartment, because they didn't have the power switched into their names (sigh). They did have power, though, so they drove back this evening.
It's going to be strange not having him here. An adult fills a lot of space, and there's a lot of empty space where that particular adult used to be. I'm happy for him to be starting on such a fine adventure. But I'm going to miss him.

I did not get the job I interviewed for earlier in the week. That is probably a good thing...the money was lousy, and wouldn't have stopped the downward financial spiral, but would only slow it down. I still have a ball in the air for a technical job that would pay much better. Not great hours, but I can live with not great hours for great money.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice of your husband to take in your Fringe Friend. And how nice of you to show your guest Bourbon Street. It sounds like such a stimulating place.
Your son is off to a wonderful start on his new life. So happy for you. -Brenda

8/15/2004 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

How nice to see your fellow fringer. No doubt your OS is seriously prepping for his first day of classes, burning the midnight oil and sweating over his books. Of course he is.

8/15/2004 09:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home