Thursday, November 11, 2004

Day off, Again

Lori (a reader) pointed out in an e-mail that I am online today because I am off work today, and she is correct. Today is Veteran's Day, a day when apparently only Bank and US Government employees get the day off. Maybe some state offices are closed, too, but not in Louisiana, I think.

DH had to work, and little boy had school, so I'm home all alone, just like I was for so very long ending less than two weeks ago. Today, though, it feels like a luxury, not a failure. I am finishing up some programming for the GED, and then I'm going to watch Sherlock Holmes DVD's. I have a very long day tomorrow, and then a weekend.

Lest you all think that I have such a wonderful life, note this: I have to work a half day the day after Thanksgiving, and a half day Christmas Eve, and all day New Year's Eve. I get no time off for Christmas or New Year's Day, because they fall on a weekend. DH, though he is at work today, doesn't have to teach Thanksgiving Week, and the week between Christmas and New Year the university is closed. So even though I get this day off in the middle of the week that nobody else gets, I would rather have his time off than mine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids are home today, so our k-12 schools are closed. I imagine the universities are open though. We were planning to head to the big city and let the kids do some shopping, but they ignored requests by their parents this past week to get some things done, so they have to stay home instead. They are making the best of it, the youngest is making treasure bottles to sell at a craft bizzare, and the oldest is reading the book on how to make soap, which is on our list to start in the next hour, DW wants to sell some soap, so we need more.

Trail Seeker

11/11/2004 12:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...those lovely banking holidays! I swear they make up days to close just to keep my accounts in the red.

Sux about the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas, but you will more than likely get MLKing day off (I won't), President's Day off(I won't)and Good Friday off (I won't). Am I bitter? You betcha.

With any luck, Little Boy will develop a cable deficiency now and then and you can snag some time off that way, too! Those randomly found days off are a god-send, enjoy your day Nanna-P!

-Lori in NM

11/11/2004 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

I get tomorrow off work. It's almost a guilty feeling rather than an elated feeling because my kids and husband all have to get up early and get to work/school.

I'll try to get some things done so I won't have too much fun.

11/11/2004 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Henry, thanks so much for the laugh. I read this at work, and showed it to my trainer, who was very, very confused.

Hidden Agendas are so Not Me. I am completely and totally transparent.

11/12/2004 07:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home