Thursday, June 02, 2005

An Asset

When my older son was younger, and we were living in Lubbock, we talked to him about college. He really wanted to go to Ohio State ($25K out-of-state tuition...right!) One car trip, DH and I told him what we thought: that he could go away to school if that's what he wanted to do, and we would support him in that, but we would really like him to stay home and go to Texas Tech, because he's an asset to our family.

He is an asset. He's a kind and attentive big brother. He's bright and a good conversationalist. He's pretty helpful around the house - just two days ago, he cleaned out the linen closet without being asked, and his room is spotless just ten days after he returned home (it was NOT that clean when he got here).

He's got some strange foibles. he won't touch raw meat, even to put it in the oven to bake. The sound of metal-on-metal is like fingernails on a chalkboard to him (thus he won't put away the silverware when he empties the dishwasher). He has a hypersensitive nose.

But I don't mind letting him have the car keys, because he's a good driver, and he'll go grocery shopping when I ask. He's grateful for what he has and expresses that.

I wish we still lived in a college town, so school wasn't 82 miles away. But I'm glad to have him home for the summer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe said...

Hi. My name is Phoebe. I'm not feeling very good about parenthood right now. If my son were to clean anything without major nagging, I would panic. I would start looking around for suicide notes or traffic tickets. Kidding. Kind of. I mean, he really doesn't feel the need to clean anything except what stands underneath the shower every morning.

It's so nice you have an OS like that to keep you company this summer. You'll need the adult conversation while your husband is off a-hunting.
Sorry to be so absent. I'm trying to finish off the last of my writing assignments for school, and then I'll get annoyingly blabby again.

6/02/2005 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Kids home from school! Hopefully you will not spend August waiting for him to be gone again. And then spend September wishing he was back.

6/03/2005 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

It's my hope that my kids will be friends once they leave and make a life for themselves. You got what I am working on :-)

6/05/2005 12:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home