Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mom

Almost two weeks ago, my mother had bypass surgery on three arteries in her abdomen - the renal, the hepatic, and something else. She came through the surgery well, but had an unexpected setback the next day. Eight days ago, she had a stroke.

The original diagnosis was "a small stroke." Yesterday, the neurologist advised my dad that it was in reality a serious, bilateral stroke.

She has been heavily sedated for much of the last week, and on a ventilator. Two days ago, she was no longer able to move her right side. Yesterday, they started weaning her off of the ventilator and the sedatives. She was able to move her left side just fine, and her right side, too. She wasn't able to acknowledge that she knew who my dad was.

Today, she was very actively moving (as much as she could when restrained). My daughter and my father were both very encouraged by how she was today.

I'm going up for a week on Sunday. I hope they have her off the damn ventilator by then.

I keep wanting to pick up the phone and call my mom.

5 Comments:

Blogger Miranda said...

Hugs, Ann.

3/15/2006 07:12:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

(sigh).

Sorry, Ann.

3/15/2006 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

I am so sorry to hear that Ann, my thoughts are with you. (((Ann)))

3/16/2006 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Ms-Chievous said...

(((Ms. Banana)))

3/17/2006 01:02:00 PM  
Blogger doug said...

How is your mom doing Ann?

3/17/2006 06:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home