Saturday, March 18, 2006

More About Mom

Mom had a brain scan Thursday or Friday, and the neurologist told dad that all areas of her brain are showing normal activity. They have kept her on the ventilator for so long because they think she's had pneumonia, but they are weaning her off this weekend. Dad told her yesterday that she's getting better, and she shook her head "no." She's mad at him. He says that's a very good sign.

Also, the MDs and nurses say she responds to and follows instructions, which is also a very good sign - she understands English.

My father is optimistic. And so, so am I.

I'm traveling up there Monday. I will work out of the office during the day and see my mom in the evenings.

Two weeks ago, my husband volunteered to proctor senior comprehensives for the majors in the department where he teaches. He forwarded me an e-mail that offered "the prayers of a grateful nun" for volunteers. Yesterday, he caught up with Sr. Grace Mary, the nun in question, and asked if she could please direct those prayers to my mother. Sr. Grace Mary took down her name, and said she would post it at the convent, and at the shrine of St. Katherine Drexel, founder of her order.

So a dead Roman Catholic Saint, members of said Saint's order, and a bunch of live Saints in Baton Rouge are praying for my mom. Add to that the good thoughts and wishes of so many of you, and that adds up to a lot of positive energy being directed Mom's way. Thanks to all of you for your care and concern.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good trip, Ann. I think it's a great sign that your mom is being contrary. If she can understand, you'll find a way to communicate. Good luck.

Peggy

3/18/2006 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger doug said...

Good news Ann, have a safe road trip.

3/19/2006 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I'll keep sending those positive vibes down there. Take care, Ann

3/19/2006 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

My best karma to you and your mom.

3/20/2006 07:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home