Thursday, June 08, 2006

Water Aerobics

A couple of weeks ago, I spent a bundle of money I don't have to join a pool/health club with Little Boy. Three times a week, I go to water aerobics.

It's awesome.

I am very obese, and had been depressed for probably close to two years. (I'm much better now.) I had a lot of difficulty getting motivated to do anything about my weight, because the problem is so large and seems so intractible. But I started reading a book called "Getting Things Done," by David Allen, and one of the tactics he teaches is to focus on Next Actions. When I applied Next Actions to my desire to lose weight, the next action wasn't "lose 150 lbs.," or "exercise every day" or "no more desserts." The next action was "Call the health club." So I did. The next action after that was "visit the health club." So I did, and that action rolled into another action, "write a very large check."

And now, I'm almost not even caring about the weight loss part of it. It'll be a nice benefit (if it happens; it might not!) but I'm just happy to be moving again, to have an elevated heart rate and to stretch my muscles and breathe heavily and to meet nice new people. It's fun! I usually don't even have to make myself go, but when I do, I'm always glad I did, because I feel energized and alive when I'm done...even though my legs feel like they're made of lead for a good ten minutes after.

I have thought about trying to do something on Wednesday mornings, because it's a pretty big gap between sessions from Monday evening to Thursday evening. But I've decided to take it slow. I just started; there's no reason to push myself yet. I'm enjoying this. I'm just going to keep enjoying it, and maybe try something else when I feel like enjoying something else.

7 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

A Mermaid at heart: welcome.

Deb

6/09/2006 05:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds great ! i have found that water aerobics made my skin softer too. you are smart to take things in small steps. where old fart and i exercise they dont push about weight loss - just to keep moving. that by itself has reward. give yourself a pat on the back.
what does little boy do while you exercise ? is he taking swimming lessons ?

6/10/2006 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

Fantastic! I think water aerobics fits in the top tier of Maslow's heirarchy of needs, which means to me that you are doing well.

6/10/2006 01:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started running again, a few weeks ago. it has made such a differance in my mood, and how i feel each day. i have to have those endorphins or i'm a mess. better than zoloft, i tell you!

there is a Y a couple of blocks away, i need to take that first step and call them.

6/10/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Good for you. Glad you are trying something.

6/12/2006 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

Depression and not getting things done went hand in hand for me, those aerobics excercises should improve your state of mind so stick with it for your minds sake.

6/13/2006 08:31:00 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

I happen to be a member of that same health club. We decided to stay there instead of joining the new one because of the outdoor pool. Most of the people there are middle aged suburbanites, but there are a few pieces of delicious eye-candy that frequent the place. Or, um, that's what I've been told.

6/15/2006 08:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home