Sunday, December 10, 2006

Slammed

I just got slammed yesterday. Some day off!

About 6:30 a.m. my dad woke me up. My mother was having blurred vision, so the emergency squad was coming. I didn't understand what he was saying at first - he used the pronoun "she," so I had thought he meant my grandma (his mother), who is almost 97 and lives in an assisted living center nearby. No, he meant Mom. I kind of freaked out, then went out to try to help her be calm. The squad came, and I answered some questions and held her hands when they weren't occupied with being evaluated by the EMTs. She was very frightened. The squad took Mom, and Dad followed behind.

I showered and dressed and proceeded with my plan for the day. I drove to Washington Court House, about 35 miles south, and stayed with my grandkids in a hotel room while my daughter and son-in-law attended the pre-funeral viewing for his uncle; who was their beloved friend, and the kid's nanny. He had died last weekend and they didn't really want to take the kids to the viewing. I stayed with the kids to help out.

I took the kids to the funeral at 11:00, and stayed for the service. It was lovely. I may write more about it elsewhere.

On the way back to Columbus, I called my brother to see if he had heard anything about mom. He said no, so I told him what had happened. I told him I would keep him in the loop. I called my husband to fill him in on my morning and to have him look up a phone number for me on the internet. Then I called the phone number he gave me to tell them I was running late.

Several weeks ago, I had signed up to prepare Dream Dinners for my parents. Vegas Joe had tried out their web intro offer and thought it was a pretty neat service, so I decided to give it a try for mom & dad. My appointment was at 1:00; at 12:00 I was just leaving Washington Court House and still in my Sunday go-to-meeting clothes. I called the location to tell them I was running late; the owner said it was not a problem; she would look at my order and help me get it ready if I was short on time. When I got to Columbus, I drove through for lunch, then went to Mom & Dad's to change into play clothes.

While I was changing, Dad called with optimistic news. No evidence of another stroke! They were waiting for the results of an MRI; if it came back clear, they would be coming home. He asked me to go visit my grandma (his mother) later that afternoon.

I finished getting dressed, got on the road, and called my brother to give him an update. I got to the Dream Dinners kitchen about 1:45. I put the meals together. It was very relaxing after dashing around all morning. I modified the ingredients a bit to account for my parents' tastes - I left the mushrooms out of the Beef Carbonara, and packaged the broccoli for the baked chicken tetrazini separately, because Dad doesn't like broccoli. The whole thing took about an hour.

I went back to Mom & Dad's again. En route, I talked to my daughter, who wanted to know what was going on with her grandma (my mom) and whether they should still plan on staying the night. I told her she should just come over and we'd see when Dad called me back. When I arrived at my parents I unloaded the food and put it in the freezer. My daughter and her family arrived. During all the noise and commotion, I missed a call from my Dad. They were coming home!

I left to visit my grandma. Grandma is really, really old and her communication skills are not the greatest - she repeats herself a lot and has to pantomime some. She is very lucid and enjoys talking, though. She told me all about her daughter's visit and how her routines have changed since she had a fall a few months ago. It was really good to see her; I just can't get over how good she looks. At almost-97, she's the picture of health. She uses a walker, but just for balance; she doesn't lean on it at all.

Finally, about 5:00, I got back to Mom & Dad's and was able to stay put for the evening. It was a pretty busy night; but at least I got to stay in one place.

I noted several times yesterday how dependent I was on my cell phone; but also how much stress it added. Pre-cell phone, I would probably have fretted about all the news I was missing, but I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. I was able to stay in touch with all the goings-on because I had a cell phone - but I don't think it eased my mind in the slightest.

Boy, this is a rambling post. Maybe I will clean it up some later.

8 Comments:

Blogger doug said...

Ramble on Ann, it is all good.

Good to hear that it wasn't another stroke. Did the doc's mention TIA? (transient ischemic attack)

12/10/2006 01:56:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

You are a competent, caring soul.

12/10/2006 11:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day. I am in awe of how you managed all that...

(Glad your mom is OK.)

12/11/2006 02:42:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yes, it was a TIA. She is even better today, her vision is recovered somewhat. She goes in to see the neurologist on Friday.

12/11/2006 07:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cell phones really are something, aren't they?

12/24/2006 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Glad she's OK. No Dream Dinners for you?

12/30/2006 01:06:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

The nearest Dream Dinners to SE Louisiana is in Tennessee. So no, no Dream Dinners for me.

12/31/2006 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh, and it WASN'T a TIA. The blood flow in the ocular artery has been cut off. It's very unlikely that she will recover her vision in that eye.

12/31/2006 11:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home