Thursday, January 29, 2004

I'm tired of the emotional roller coaster of not having a job. I try, really try, to keep my spirits up and think positive. But nothing is happening, and I don't see much on the horizon. My unemployment runs out in 9-10 weeks, and from what I've read, it's unlikely that the powers that be will extend benefits. They've already been extended twice, and even though there has been virtually no recovery on the job front, extending benefits again is probably not going to be seen as a positive thing.

I've always told the joke: "The Engineering graduate says, 'I can build that.' The Business graduate says, 'I can sell that.' The Humanities graduate says, 'Do you want fries with that?'"

I need a plan. What I have been doing is not working...I need to be more aggressive, I guess, and more diligent about following up. Where is the line between assertive and pesky? What kinds of questions should I ask that I haven't been asking? Should I just throw in the towel and try to get a student assistant job at my husband's employer, and finish up school? Do I sign up for temp agencies now?

Every time the phone rings, I hope it's somebody calling for an interview, or about a job. But it hardly ever is. I want to stay hopeful. But it's getting harder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home