Monday, February 09, 2004

Today was another "do stuff for me" day, but of a different sort. (Any guys reading? You may want to avert your eyes...) I spent the morning at the outpatient clinic of a local hospital. I got a two-hour glucose tolerance test (which takes three hours, counting all the waiting for them to call you and all). I also got a mammogram (my first...bad me!) The mammogram was kind of a trip...the tech (a female) was maneuvering my very large breasts onto the x-ray/machine plate like they were slabs of beef. And then, when they squished the plates together...holy cow! Figuratively, of course. All those cubic inches being spread out into cubic inches only 1-2 inches thick takes up a LOT of surface area. It was kind of weird to see.

I stopped at the registration counter to see if I could fill out my mammogram paperwork after my 2nd draw, and it was a good call. As a result, they did my mammogram between blood draws, and I didn't have to come back an hour later.

Small son is only going to "school" twice a week now, in a money saving effort. I have made some activities for us, but I don't know how long they'll last. I also bought some workbooks, so we can stay busy for an hour or so a day with different learning activities. Tomorrow, Tuesday, we will go to story time at the Library.

I have my first mid-term in my computer applications class this Friday. The material is SO much a review for me...but that doesn't mean I should read it, so I'm prepared.

I read a wonderful article in the September, 2003 issue of Smithsonian Magazine. (Link is a summary, not the whole article.) Alfred Wainwright, an accountant, mapped several walking tour maps in the 1970's and published them in book form. The writer and his wife walked the coast-to-coast tour; 190 miles in 14 days, from the Irish to the North Sea, stopping at B&B's on the way. It sounds like a wonderful adventure...both the walk and the books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home