Monday, May 24, 2004

More than I Can Chew

I signed up last Friday for Organizational Communications, a three credit hour course in oral and written communication in business. After I registered, I met with a professor I liked very much who advises accounting majors. Mr. Wright (CPA, MBA) assured me that as long as there is an Internal Revenue Service, there will be a need for accountants here in the United States. He encouraged me to sign up for the basic accounting courses during first and second summer terms. Because I can't go to school during Summer II, and because the hours are not convenient, I am not going to do that. However, I did look at the requirements for the major, and, in a moment of bravery and ambition, added pre-calculus to my schedule.

Summer term really slams here...a course that normally meets twice a week for four months meets daily for six weeks (Org Comm) or eight (Pre-Calc). I have an hour commute in to the city every day. I still have to look for work, and try to keep the house running. Fortunately, it's not even two months, and it will go by in a blink. I just hope it doesn't mess up my GPA.

I will probably report in every other day, as I have been, here on my own blog, and I will continue to read my friend's blogs. But do not think that reduced commenting means reduced interest or reduced lurve for all y'all.

I have an interview Wednesday for a job here in my little 'burb, 30 hours a week, for a family service organization. It's a front desk job, so it won't pay as much as I'm used to, but then again, it'll pay a lot more than I'm used to lately, and because evenings are required I'll be able to go to school in the morning.

Ever since we moved here, I have had a "goal" of going back to school when we get our debt paid off. I have revised that. I am going to school full time in Fall 2005. We'll just have to make lifestyle adjustments to accomodate that. This gives us a year to start on them.

Joe, your "setting goals too low" comment really made me think. I know this may not seem like much, but jumping into pre-calculus when I haven't taken a math class in over 25 years was aiming high for me. After sitting through the class today, though, I am filled with confidence. I remember this stuff! I can do this!

I got a laugh out of my age in class today. The instructor asked us to introduce ourselves and explain how we feel about math. I said, "I used to love math, and was pretty good at it when I last took it, over 25 years ago." (class laughs) "I took pre-calculus in high school, in 1978. How many of y'all had been born then?" (class laughs, no hands). "Yeah, that's what I thought."

Do singing cowgirls need to know calculus?

4 Comments:

Blogger doug said...

"After sitting through the class today, though, I am filled with confidence."

Terrific news!

5/24/2004 09:52:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ohmygosh, OFFSPRING was at that concert piscusfische went to. OFFSPRING!

5/24/2004 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

That is great. I totally understand not being able to write daily. I am on a ten minute break in my homework right now. You will be fine.

My class meets four hours a day, two days a week for 15 sessions, or 7 1/2 weeks. Its pretty intense, but I kinda enjoy the pace. I'll bet you will too.

I'm so proud of you!!!!

5/24/2004 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Of course singing cowgirls need to know calculus. Everyone does. Don't you use it every day yourself? (didn't think so). But at least it keeps your mind active.

5/24/2004 10:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home