Thursday, May 20, 2004

Senior Show

Tuesday night, DH and I went to the Cable SHS Senior Show at my older son's high school. Older Son is in the broadcasting academy; every month, they put together a news show that was broadcast on the cable TV system within the school. All through the year, they've been putting together a video for the seniors as a memento of the year. It was wonderful!

The opening segment was a comedy bit by my son and a friend. They "re-enacted" the day last year when the junior class takes over, with a road rally, breakfast, and a dance. It was short, but very funny. Then they showed video footage of the real thing. They had footage of homecoming, the senior class production of "Footloose," Senior Lock-in, Grad Night (a four-day trip to Disney World and Universal Studios), and Prom. They did baby pictures of a lot of the kids, with their "now" pictures fading in in the corner. They did a segment on friendship. The final segment was "good luck seniors" from local notables and teachers and staff.

It was just wonderful. Even older son, who is a terrible critic, was impressed. "I wish I could take more credit for it, mom...Ms. Brown did everything. I've seen the last three senior shows, and this was the best."

It was upbeat, and forward looking. It cast the year in a positive light, with wistfulness and hope. I choked up more than once, and my son was not even in the show that much.

Yesterday was graduation rehearsal. Tonight is graduation. It is not raining. The graduation is outside, unless it rains. It has not rained for two days. If it doesn't rain, little boy can come with us. I know, it sounds like I'm obsessing about the rain, but really, it has rained here so much that I can't quite believe the sun has shone for the last two days.

We have purchased photos of older son getting his diploma, to send to the grandparents. We have forbidden him from wearing his fake mustache. I will be sure to take the camera and arrive early.

In their post on speed of time, which I comment on believe, Tyler Cowen at Marginal Revolution said that the perceived midpoint of our lives comes at age 17 1/2. I think that makes sense. High school graduation is one of those big transition times, when we put behind us childish things and take responsibility for our futures. No wonder time seems to speed up.

For so many years, this young man was "my guy." He's been such a great kid. I'm astonished that he's passed this milestone so quickly.

7 Comments:

Blogger doug said...

*it's not going to rain, it's not going to rain, it's not to rain* I am obsessing with you - good luck.

Fake mustache eh, sounds like my kind of guy.

In 7 years when DS graduates I am sure I am going to be saying the same thing, wow where did the time go?

5/20/2004 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

I just checked the National Weather Service radar site and all looks good for graduation night. Enjoy!

5/20/2004 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Gee, Randy...wonder why I didn't think of that! Thanks for the good karma (and the good data).

I think everyone would be better off with both!

5/20/2004 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I have tears in my eyes and its not even my kid or one I actually know. My son is off to middle school and I feel like if I blink, I'll loose him.

I remember my last day of high school, actually after my last day of high school. I was driving my friend home from school in Farmington Hills to Canton where she lived. We were taking 8 Mile to I-275 and it was riddled with orange construction barrels. We turned the radio on and REM's "This is the End of the World as We Know It." I can still remember driving my yellow"80 Toyota Corolla and my conversation with Kathi about how this really was the end of the world as we knew it for the last four years. Such bittersweet times.

5/20/2004 07:42:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

They played "I Hope You Dance" during the prom pictures. Man, that was a tear-jerker.

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder.
You get your fill to eat, but always keep that hunger.
May you never take one single breath for granted.
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed.
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens.
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance.
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.
I hope you dance.

5/20/2004 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm late posting. I have been running around in circles.

I love watching kids grow from childhood to adulthood. It's an amazing time for your son as well as for you. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders...you've done a good job. Best wishes to your boy.

5/21/2004 04:00:00 PM  
Blogger doug said...

Ann please read the comments at the end of your last post (It's Gonna Rain) and get back to me if you are still interested in those mp3's - I hope I gots da goods.

5/21/2004 04:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home