Sunday, January 07, 2007

Slash Dot

When Google released its customizable home page some months ago, one of the news feeds I picked up on a lark was Slashdot (/.) "News for Nerds. Stuff that matters." was the line that lured me in. It has become one of my favorite sources for interesting stuff.

For example, I learned today on Slashdot that the inventory of instant ramen noodles died at the age of 96. One of the best things about /. is the comments, which are ranked by participants on a scale of one to five in one of three categories: interesting, insightful, or funny. There is a 5-Interesting comment that talks about the geek wonders of ramen written by "perfessor multigeek" that's just excellent, and some 5-Funny references to the inventor (Ando Momofuko - what a GREAT name) being the earthly manifestation of the FSM sent to bring noodly goodness to the world.

Like my buddy and former co-blogger Ned Flanders wrote in his post about The Brick Testament, there's always a risk when you talk about something like this that it's SOOOOOOO last century, and everybody knows already. But I so enjoyed reading about Ramen noodles and their procrastinator inventor (didn't invent them until he was 48!) that I thought I should sing the praises of Slashdot. Besides, it lets me write a blog with lots of links.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home