Monday, May 31, 2004

A DH story in more ways than one

My husband is a baseball fan.

Six or so years ago, when we were trying to get pregnant, we hadn't had any success for a couple of months. Mostly it was because when I was ovulating in Lubbock, he was collecting small mammals in New Mexico. But I was 38, and concerned that maybe my fertility was not as it was when I was younger. I subscribed to a Usenet infertility newsgroup. I'm not sure which one; probably alt.infertility, but perhaps one of its variants.

In any case, I was reading through some of the posts, and my husband came in and started reading over my shoulder. "What are you reading?" He asked. "An infertility newsgroup," I replied.

After a few minutes, he is very, very quiet. I look behind me and he is sitting, dumbstruck. Finally, he asked, "What is a DH?" "It's kind of an internet shorthand for 'dear husband,'" I said.

"Oh. That makes a lot more sense. In baseball, a DH is a designated hitter. I could see maybe one of these women going that route, but ALL of them?"

3 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

So your DH was asking about the other DH's listed? I guess you gave him the right answer, but was it the correct one?

5/31/2004 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Ha! However, you've got to wonder how many infertile women engage the services of a designated hitter. Why that one high-profile Lesbian couple chose David Crosby is beyond me. Was Brad Pitt out of town for the weekend or something?

5/31/2004 06:56:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

My answer, in context, was both right AND correct. It was Melissa Etheridge and her partner, Julie Something, and I guess they wanted the kid to be musical. Oh, and a junkie.

5/31/2004 08:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home