Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Weekend Thus Far

The parade was a lot of fun. I've made a small web page about it, with pictures. You can find a link to it on my home page, http://www.annporter.com.

I spent most of the day doing errands and shopping. I took care of money stuff, and was stunned to find that we have some money left after paying all the bills, with which we can buy food. DH says it's called a "balanced budget." I haven't seen one of those for so long that I keep thinking I've made a mistake somewhere.

One of the shopping things I did was to go buy new beds. Older Son has nowhere to sleep when he comes to stay, as he did this weekend for the holiday. And Little Boy's bed is so old and worn that's its become almost dangerous to sleep on. We bought a low end model for Older Son's room, which is also the guest room, because he said it was just fine and he's the one who will be sleeping on it the most. We went a little higher end for Little Boy, because he'll need it longer.

Have I mentioned before that I have the best bed in the whole world? I really wasn't qualified to test the beds today, because none of them are as good as mine.

It's impossible to comparison shop for beds. The manufacturers put different labels on their brands in each store, so you can never compare apples to apples. I am not making this up. Consumer Reports says the very same thing. Very lame.

I keep thinking I'd like to go into the city tomorrow afternoon and take in one of the Uptown parades, but I'm sure it'll be just a nightmare getting in and out. I'd also really like to see the Zulu parade on Tuesday, but it starts at 8:30 and I don't know that I want to deal with the Real Thing - New Orleans on Mardi Gras Day. So, I may just be done with Mardi Gras for the year. Except I have to buy a little king cake for Monday, because I got the baby. Here's a wonderful blog entry about king cakes and "getting the baby."

4 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe said...

Cool site, Ann. Awesome pictures. What are you going to do with all that loot?
I bear witness to Ann's testimony about beds. I know someone in the biz, and he said it's true too.

2/06/2005 11:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun outing and a great haul for a little one! My two oldest received a big old box of mardi gras beads from the in-laws when they were 5 and 4. What a hit they were! They would choose no less than 10 to wear at any given time if we went anywhere (especially church)

You live in a pretty cool place!

-Lori

2/07/2005 09:49:00 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

How come you aren't on a float? Join a krew and really get into the spirit - at least wear feathers in your hair.

2/07/2005 03:14:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

If you don't mind walking a lot, the City isn't so bad on Mardi Gras day. Have you been to Zulu and Rex yet? The trick is to take advantage of location. You have to be below Jackson Ave. to see Zulu at all, and you have to be well above Jackson Ave. to catch anything from Rex. Rex doesn't throw very much once they get into the African-American part of St. Charles Ave. I know; I used to live in that part of town. Zulu tends to be quite generous right there.

2/07/2005 09:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home