Sunday, November 28, 2004

Green Spaghetti

A mailing list I subscribe to, Just Tell Me What to Cook, sent a recipe a couple of months ago for Green Spaghetti. It's a really quick meal of spaghetti with a sauce made of parmesan cheese, broth, milk, and steamed spinach, all pureed together. The little boy loves it. Little boy loves almost nothing except peanut butter and jelly and macaroni and cheese. I have only served this twice, but was thrilled both times that he liked it so much, because it has spinach in it. Green vegetables!

On the other hand, DH was a bit put off by the color. OK, quite put off. The first time I fixed it, I thought it was because he was surprised by the shade and intensity of green. So, this time, I asked him in advance: "Is it OK if I make Green Spaghetti for dinner tomorrow?" He said it would be fine.

DH is not a picky eater (as long as I don't try to make him eat celery, raisins, or peanut butter). He will cheerfully eat almost anything I cook, thanking me for cooking and praising the food. But for the green spaghetti, he felt the need to eat with the dining room light off.

It figures. I finally find a healthy recipe with vegetables in it that little boy will eat, and it makes DH turn about the same color as the spaghetti. He ate it, though. What a trooper.

5 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Ever try pesto sauce? Sounds similar to the spinach stuff - but basil, olive oil and parmesan cheese. It's a northern Italian fav - where they don't grow tomatos. Sold in most supermarkets now, at least out west.
Glad the kid goes for it - now you can advance to food coloring, and make him blue scrambled eggs, or red french toast, or other neet stuff.

11/29/2004 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

What is WITH blogspot comments today? It keeps freezing up. Sheesh. Where was I?

Operation Trivial Comment: Many attempts at commenting, only to say:

"I do not like it, Sam I Am; I do not like green spaghetti, oh damn.
But I will eat them without fight;
I will eat them if you turn out the light."

(you may applaud now)

Now come on 'a my blog, a miiiiiyyyy blog.

11/29/2004 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Ms-Chievous said...

There isn't any chance that I can top Phoebe's poem. But I would like the recipe!? :o)

11/30/2004 02:30:00 AM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I've wanted to try that recipe, Ann. I'm glad your son liked it. I must put it on my list for the week.

12/01/2004 06:34:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

Aw, MOM! Do we have to eat green spaghetti again today? Can't you cook up something else?
(figuratively speaking, of course)

12/02/2004 09:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home