Saturday, December 04, 2004

Retreat

Today, at the recommendation of my therapist, I went on retreat. It was a silent retreat. It was held from 9-3 at the home of the pastoral counseling minister at the local Methodist church. His house is on a secluded, tree-filled acre right next to a bayou. The setting was tranquil and different.

To begin, the thirteen participants met for an hour to talk about the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. The facilitator is a spiritual director, and she led the opening and developed the focus for the retreat.

The objective was for us to focus on the St. Ignatius' exercise of Principle and Foundation; this is to help us know how we are beloved by God. We each received a copy of Isaiah 44 and Psalm 139 to use for reflection. We were to remain silent, focusing our time on prayer and contemplation.

While it was cloudy and a bit nippy (upper 50's/low 60's, I think) I spent most of the morning outdoors, reading and contemplating the scriptures we had been given, noting a few thoughts in a journal, and remaining open to God's presence.

Before lunch, I met for about a half hour with the UMC minister. It was an uplifting and encouraging conversation. We talked about communion with God and being open without expectation of receiving. We talked a bit about my experience with the LDS approach to communion with God. We talked about the difference between longing and grasping for that connection, and how seeking, reaching, and even grasping come from that longing.

The group congregated (in silence) for lunch; potluck (I made marinated artichoke squares). After lunch, we meditated and prayed for another two hours. I enjoyed the birds and the water and the garden and praying and meditating.

Then the group came together and shared our experiences if we chose.

It was a very lovely day. Uplifting and relaxing and energizing all at once.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe said...

Refreshing!

12/05/2004 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

If only church could be so uplifting. Sounds like this approach was benificial to you. I think there is something healing in being with nature, some of my most memorable times are when out with nature.

I learned alot of myself when mountain climbing during the middle of a snow storm and high winds while searching for lost people, you learn your limitations and also push the envelope to new dimensions.

I wonder how I would have reacted to your retreat, I know DW would appreciate it.

12/05/2004 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

I wanted to add that the first thing I tought of when I read "I went on a retreat" was of Marge Simpson. She went on one and liked it so much that she didn't want to go back home. I was imagining you getting massages and being treated like the queen you are, that you didn't want it to end.

12/05/2004 03:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home