Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Large return with little effort

We are running out of space on our server. It's not a very big drive to begin with, and nobody ever deletes or cleans up anything.

I downloaded a utility that shows how much space each folder uses. By moving one ancient application off the server onto a local drive (mine has over 75GB available), and deleting one folder and one additional file, I will be able to free up three times the amount of space we have available now.

On the other hand, there are hundreds and hundreds of folders with hundreds and hundreds of documents that could be cleaned up a little here and a little there and it would probably free even more space. But it would take weeks to sort through them to make sure only truly unneeded stuff was deleted. This way, I'm not cleaning up nearly as much space as I could, but it took just a couple of hours to figure out how to make it happen, instead of a couple of weeks.

I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hundreds and hundreds, you say?

My cpu experienced months of glitches late last year. Finally, in a frustrated moment I chose to be okay to lose much of what was unimportant. ...grabbed this puppy's home planet CDs and went to work. Voila!

Sure I weep for things I lost. Mostly I celebrate for knowing full well that important stuff is retrievable, one way or another.

Deb

5/07/2005 02:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home