Monday, May 02, 2005

Strange answers to prayers

A friend sent me an e-mail in which she described feeling "freed" when she had prayed to know if she should stay with her husband, and she finally felt like it was OK to leave. The exact same thing happened to me. I prayed and prayed and prayed to be able to get a divorce. I kept getting the same answer: No. Stay. Eventually after some time in Alanon, the answer changed. And I was free.

I think the reason I needed to stay was because without recovery, in Alanon, I would have just gone into the same relationship with a different guy. Instead, though, I was able to see how my own behavior made the situation much worse, and how I couldn't control him, but I could control me.

Once I learned that, it was OK to move on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trail Seeker said...

I actually said a prayer today, I asked God if he was really there and to let me know somehow. In my condition, I don't think it an unreasonable request and if I don't get an answer, well.......

5/02/2005 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I really, really think you could benefit from reading "The History of God." I see God in an entirely different way now. It's made me much more serene about my experiences and lack thereof with God.

5/03/2005 07:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home