Sunday, August 28, 2005

Safe

It was a long drive (about 10 hours) but we are here. We are such geeks - we didn't bring a laptop, but a full-size Dell Dimension 4400 with a 17" NEC Multisynch monitor. We have a nice little desk and high-speed internet in the room - well, of sorts. It only connects at 10 mbps, but that's probably faster than the connection to the outside world.

We upgraded our environment from the last time we evacuated - we are in a small suite with a king-size bed. There is a small seating area with a large loveseat that is a sofa bed, so little boy doesn't have to camp on the floor.

Tomorrow we are going to go to Pappacito's for lunch, where they make their own tortillas. I haven't had fresh tortillas since I left Lubbock in 2002. While the food in the New Orleans area is superb, I haven't been real impressed with how they do Mexican. It's good to be back in Texas for a bit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Hi, Ann, glad you're safe. I tried calling a few times today, but the circuits in your network were all busy. We left town at 5:30 p.m. yesterday, and got to Houston at 1:30 a.m. Not too bad, all things considered. We're at the Best Western on the Katy Freeway near the 610 split. Not a terrible place, but I wouldn't want to be stuck here too long.

8/28/2005 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I'm glad you guys are safe. I'm keeping you both in my thoughts.

8/28/2005 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Randy, I had a lot of trouble dialing out and stuff today, too. Text message works OK, if you want to text me. Do you and your DW want to go to lunch with us tomorrow?

8/28/2005 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Texas? Safe in Texas? Isn't the ghost of GW still there?
At least you don't have the wind and rain - hopes for your homes when you return.

8/29/2005 09:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you guys going to be in town tommorow? i'm not feeling so hot today, but maybe we could get together and do something tues? i'll email you my phone number.

glad you guys are safe!!

8/29/2005 11:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Glad to hear you and yours are safe and sound. I have been mentally saving your house from the hurricane. Don't laugh, I also single-handedly keep any airplane I am on from crasing into the ground, don't doubt my power, it works. . .

It's an awsome power I possess and I try to only use it for good and not evil and this time I am focusing my mind-rays on your house and Randy's house.

Good homemade tortillas are worth evacuating for!

Try not to worry too much, you have taken all your valuables (each other) with you and even brought along your computer for good measure.

Keep in touch with us, and you SO could have sold the DH on NM. We still have lizards here and it's only going to be close to 90 today. Good lizard hunting weather. And. . . I have a pool, so little boy would have been pleased too.

-Lori

8/29/2005 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

Sounds like you have a comfy place while you wait the storm. I can't imagine taking a desktop system with us, but my wifes imac would be an easy get up and go system.

Take care.

8/29/2005 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dear!!

I've been thinking about you HARD, so I'm glad I checked here. Can't figure where you are in Texas. Guess I missed that somewhere. Diana asked about you this morning. She's been thinking about you too. I'll let her know you're safe.

We love you and still miss you TERRIBLY.

8/29/2005 04:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home