Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Charlotte

I am visiting my cousin Alex in Fort Mill, SC, on the southern outskirts of Charlotte. Alex has a beautiful house and fixed us a lovely dinner. She has five year-old twins for Little Boy to play with, and a three year-old daughter to amuse us all tomorrow while the twins are in school. The playroom is the size of my den plus some, and I lust after her TV. And she has high-speed internet access.

DH and I are now thinking ahead a whole few days, to the things we will want to do next week. We need to hit the ground running with FEMA, Red Cross, job search, alternative living arrangements, etc.

Like Randy's wife, I have found the exile disconcerting. I woke up yesterday morning and was very confused. I didn't recognize my surroundings at all. Then I realized I was not in my bed. I really, really miss my bed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand missing your bed. I think my bed is my favorite place in the whole world.

I especially love when both my children end up in my bed and we're talking and it's all cozy. I think those are the times I miss Emily most, if it's potentially one of those moments then I realize she doesn't live here anymore.

I have been thinking about Em's bio. father a lot because she never went down there and now this. I looked him up today and his clinic was in Slidell. I'm sure financially they would have been able to evacuate. I have checked the "okay" lists and haven't seen his name, but if they evacuated and all their family and friends know they are fine, it wouldn't be felt necessary to put a name on a list, huh?

Emily hasn't mentioned being worried about him or anything, but as much as she talks, she doesn't like to talk about worries.

It is probably selfish of me to worry over some person that is surely fine when there is so much death and suffering, but I am worried about what Em is feeling or thinking. She was here this weekend, but I didn't want to bring it up because if she HASN'T thought about it I don't want to maker her.

9/07/2005 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Ann--just FYI, FEMA is paying for 14 nights' hotel stays, no questions asked, if you have the right zip code (ours counted). Also, the loss-of-use part of homeowners will pick up much of your Houston expenses.

9/08/2005 08:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are getting to visit with family and friends. I know it is not home. the old saying that home is where the heart is only goes so far.
your dh university transferred its students to other schools. are they not going to transfer some of the profs to work with them ?
did they decide if they were going to pay them ? maybe he could get a grant to do some of his research while out of school.
are you going to homeschool little boy for awhile to help him keep up ? all these and more questions must be rumbing thru your mind and be exhausting.
if you need something familiar, come here or to one of the boards.
we are the same group of weirdos we have always been. dont ya love us ?
mommy1

9/08/2005 07:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, just a thought, if you get good at filing out all those forms for fema etc - maybe you could get a job with them. sure looks like they could use some help.

9/08/2005 07:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home