Saturday, September 24, 2005

Football Saturday

Little boy and I will be living with my parents for the next two months - at least, that's the plan. Today was my first day back on a Football Saturday.

Buckeye Football is my family's religion. Some members are less devout than others - the women enjoy the sociality, but don't necessarily engage as much in the actual worship services. Also, you are permitted to opt out of Football Saturday if you have to work, or live out of town. But if you're a member of our family, in Columbus, Ohio, and the Buckeyes are playing, you probably come over to watch the game.

My parents have eleven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Some of the grandkids are older, or out of town, so they don't come. Today, there were nine children under the age of thirteen (because of guests) and seven adults. Four doors had to be carefully watched at all times, to prevent the baby (just 16 months old) from falling someplace dangerous. Many children ran up and down the stairs to the basement, and then anxious adults ran over to check the basement door. Then there was the matter of feeding all those people (burgers on the grill, baked potato casserole with cheese, and a lovely berry trifle).

The Buckeyes are never up to snuff, even in a decisive victory like today. They should have more aggressive offense, fewer turnovers, and a defense that never tires.

It was a busy, noisy day. It was also a lot of fun, which is a decided advantage among religious services. Next week is a bye week, so the services will not be held. I'm more than a little relieved.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....... maybe we should check the schedule and see when and where IU vs Ohio State! If it's here, I can sometimes get free tickets at work, but Ohio State is a hard one to get, being Big Ten. Uh, I'm pretty sure I can predict the winner of the game...

Okay I checked the schedule. It's here on Oct 22. I can check on tickets if you're interested in a trip to Blgtn, but my son will be gone to his dad's that weekend and it would be nice for you to meet him too.

9/24/2005 07:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see you are settled in. football is great medicine, especially if your team wins.

sounds like you have an awesome family. what a great experience for little boy to know he is part of it.

when do you start work and little boy start school ?

are you going to share the recipe for berry trifle ?
m1

9/24/2005 07:49:00 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

You want my older son for the weekend? He apparently loves football, or would like to love football, but was saddled with parents and uncles who have absolutely no idea what all the fuss is. Actually, we all oblivious to the whole fuss.

9/24/2005 08:45:00 PM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

Almost sounds like a family reunion going on there. I just may be out in the buckeye state next summer for an in-law one, it's that or St Louis where my BIL just moved to. I would prefer going to Ohio though.

9/24/2005 09:53:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Ann--your house is just fine.

9/25/2005 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

My mother hangs up on me if I call during a Sunday game. She's a professed follower of the Church of the NFL of Latter-Day 'Taints

9/25/2005 11:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home