Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Separating

DH is going to Lubbock. I'm going to stay in Columbus. He has a short-term post-doc position at Texas Tech, and I have a job here with a former employer. Major, major props to Horn Professor Robert J. Baker of TTU and Stuart Crane of Definitive Homecare Solutions for putting two out-of-work evacuees to work, earning money and being useful. In my case, I'll even be learning a useful new skill - Crystal Reports.

We are heading to Slidell tomorrow. We're going to do what we can to clean up our house and maybe prepare it for somebody to live there while we're gone. I will drive back to Columbus on Monday and Tuesday. DH will head to West Texas, then on to New Mexico and Arizona to (get this) collect lizards.

Living apart is going to suck mightily, but we've done it before, and it's for the long-term good.

We were at the Red Cross earlier today (hat tip to Randy) and my mother commented to Little Boy, "Gee, I wonder where your mom and dad are. They should be back by now."

Little boy replied, "They went to Louisiana." I guess he'll be OK while we're gone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe said...

I keep thinking you're one place when you're in another. You poor thing -- all comforting rituals gone, family split apart. Little Boy is in good hands, I'm sure, and I hope you find some profitable and interesting distraction in your new job.

9/14/2005 08:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, so your son from lsu can come home on the weekends to make sure the house is okay and while he is there have wild college parties.

hope your seperation time goes fast and that you can keep in close communication via puter and phone. maybe the bestest christmas present will be for you all to be back home together.
little boy amazes me with his toughness. must be in the genes. maybe you can take him lizard hunting in ohio and surprise his dad. in the meantime enjoy spoiling your grandchild.

we are headed to pascagoula, ms and then to florida.

here is to safe traveling
mommy1

9/14/2005 10:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang-ditty-dang! I am just selfish enough to wish that you DIDN'T have a job lined up in OH and were staying with the DH and coming to NM. But, on second thought, maybe your plan is better than mine. (go figure)

Sounds like your family is well taken care of and getting back to the business of living. This is just a temporary measure and being separated really sucks, but you didn't really want to go lifting rocks in the desert anyway, didya?

I keep checking in to make sure my favorite evacuees are okay. Things are looking up!

-Lori

9/15/2005 09:33:00 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Good news. Jobs while things clean up. Yea!

9/15/2005 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Wish you well. I've got co-workers dealing with the issues and I hope things work out for you.

9/15/2005 06:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home