Monday, September 26, 2005

Landlord

Oh dear. (A harsher word is actually what I'm thinking.) I'm a landlord.

My house is a very fine house. But it's not new, and it does have its quirks. I am 900 miles away. I can't fix things. My DH is also 900 miles away (to the west, vs. the northeast). He can fix things, but not from 900 miles away.

I had not expected that the person living in my house would start out complaining about it. Good naturedly, of course. We left off the AC, and it got damn hot in there. But truely, I don't want to listen to her complain about how hot my house is.

My DH and I are going to ponder how we will deal with these sorts of issues in our sleep tonight. Hopefully, we will have a brainstorm. I think it would be best, though, for me not to handle problems. I'll be way too tempted to just say, "Get the hell out of my house."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought you were the answer to her prayer ! if the house is too hot, clearly, she needs to pray again. it will give her a whole new perspective on the subject. maybe she can get a box fan to help temporarily.

were you able to get the leaky roof fixed ?
m1

9/26/2005 10:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't already, put something in writing with your tenant. I'd suggest a lease: this can include how repairs will be dealt with (she pays for minor repairs while you're away. She's living there for free, after all) I'd also address what to do if she damages your home .
If you can remember, document the condition of your home before they moved in and include some wording that the tenant will be responsible for anything beyond reasonable wear and tear. Protect yourself and put a limit on how long she and her kids can stay. If she won't sign it, kick her out.
Just because you're being kind does not mean you should not protect your property.

9/27/2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yeah, Indee, I've thought of that. I haven't done it yet, though. Perhaps we ought to get it done before the beginning of the month.

9/27/2005 06:03:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

I agree with the "get the hell outta my house," so if that's what you want to do, I support it 100%.

9/27/2005 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger doug said...

"Our house is a very, very fine house
With two cats in the yard
Life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy
'Cause of you
And our la,la,la, la,la"

[i]and your house is way to hot
it's in a very tight spot
they are roosting in the pot
grateful they are not[/i]

shouldn't they be shot?

*teehee, j/k, but you got me started with the "My house is a very fine house" and I love that song*

9/28/2005 09:53:00 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

I always thought the best way to deal with a hot house was turn on the air conditioner and wait an hour or so for it to cool. Did she try doing that before she complained to you about it? C. does gripe about stuff, IIRC.

9/29/2005 12:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home